Monday, March 14, 2011

March 14th, 15th -Days 34,35

First Day of School- Eye Opening Days

Today was my first day of school at Lincoln Uni! I’m pretty excited about the classes I will be taking this semester. I had my first class at 9:30, Animal Breeding and Genetics. Our professor first begins the class by discussing what we are supposed to do in case on another earthquake. DROP, COVER, HOLD! He continued to discuss the structural integrity of the building we are holding class in.  He explains that we need to stay away from the windows and don’t rush out the door. We are to be cautious of WHERE we sit  in the classroom. Because we don’t want to be in danger in case speakers, projectors or lights fall on us. Through out the lecture we are reminded of the Februrary 22nd earthquake. It has truly effected our lives. Not only are we two weeks behind in school. But we are now also home to numerous other students from Canterbury. There are still police men roaming the campus and it is hard not to constantly reminded of the tragedy.
My next class was at 11:30, Sheep Production. Yet again my professor tells us what we should do in case of a quake. DROP, COVER, HOLD.  He is the one who determines that it is safe for us to go outside. When we go outside be sure to look up. There will be falling debris and we must make sure that it is safe for us to exit the building. The professor was quick to note how many people were injured and killed on February 22nd because they failed to look up.
Third class of the day, Plant Production.  It was the same story. Only this time the professor asked us if we had all heard it already. So he didn’t repeat it. Everywhere we go we are constantly reminded of the heartache that occurred that day. Our teachers tell us their homes have been destroyed, and they have had to boil water for weeks. You can see the strain and the worry on their faces and in their words.
Finally last class, Consumer Behavior. To no surprise we heard the lecture yet again. She told us to be aware of our bags down by and around our feet. She says that if we need a quick getaway they could cause is great harm. She also pointed out not to sit under big items hanging form the ceiling, I was quick to change seats today and not sit under the projector. We discussed consumer items in class today and what people were quick to but in the time of need. Everything is sinking in, no one ever be able to forget that tragic day.
We have continued to have aftershocks. There was one yesterday morning at 6:30am, approximately a 4.1. Today I have not felt any, they are starting to become more scarce as the days pass. Before I came to New Zealand I had no idea what an earthquake or an aftershock would feel like. But now I can say, they have become a part of my daily life and I am no longer surprised.
There were hundreds of police men, morticians, and volunteer workers all over campus. The Uni allowed them to stay in our rooms while we were on our bus tour. I did not have any one occupy my room. But I have heard great stories from those who did. Students left police men food and sweets for them to enjoy after a longs days work. And when the workers left they returned the favor and left thank you notes of appreciation.
Everyday I am reminded of February 22nd. It is a day that will live in everyone’s memory and hearts for decades to come. It has been truly an amazing experience being in Christchurch during this whole ordeal. I have been forced to make decisions I am not normally accustomed to, but they have been great ones. At this point in my life I wouldn’t want to do anything other than help those who have been affected by this tragedy.

This is the building I was in during the earthquake. So I'm sure you can image in the nose and movement I experienced being at ground level. 

No comments:

Post a Comment