Friday, March 25, 2011

March 19th-March 27th Days 40-48

First Full Week of School

Sunday evening, March 20th, another earthquake hit Christchurch with a magnitude of 5.1. There were several tremors that rolled across the city late that night. One of 3.0 at 9:43 pm, and another of 2.9 only a few minutes later. The second and third shocks were in almost exactly the same location - 10km east of the city, and 10km and llkm deep. A Civil Defence spokeswoman told NZPA there were no reports of damage, but police and Civil Defence staff were checking buildings in central Christchurch.
It is no longer a shock of feeling the ground move, nor the buildings shake. It has almost become a part of the day in which I expect to feel them. Im not scared nor am I worried, but I am struck by the frequency in which how often the people of Christchurch experience this feeling.

This past week has been a busy one. This was our first full week of classes and they are definitely starting to kick up dust to say the least. My genetics class is going to make me pull my hair out. Our professor discusses topics in class very vaguely and then tells us to go out and do our own research about the subject. So not only are we taking notes in class, but I'm spending half of my free time in the library drawing diagrams and gathering information that I hope is correct. The other night I spent two hours in the library diagraming out the processes of mitosis and meiosis. And just to top off the genetics class, I have a research project to complete that is 50% of my grade. Im attempting to do a study on the Arthrogryposis Multiplex genetic defect in Angus cattle, also known as curly calf syndrome. I first wanted to do my genetic study on brisket disease, but of course I have to have a project in which I can "fix" and create a viable outcome for the genetic defect, so brisket wasn't a solid choice for the project.

In my sheep production class this week we learned about sheep breeding and genetic improvement. I learned about optimum ram selection and the performance traits that are linked in selection. It is interesting, here in NZ ewe lamb is known as a Hogget, and a two year old is known as a 2-Tooth. I found it interesting how different countries and cultures are about going describing their livestock. Or maybe it is just my sheltered life of being in the mountains of Colorado. Throughout the week the class discussed about flock connectedness and what questions you should ask breeders when searching for a viable breeding program. The best part of this weeks lecture was discussing how breeding ewes are the major earner on any farm. I love learning about the sheep industry here in NZ, there focus is wool but they are very knowledgeable about the species.

As for my plants class, well thats a whole other story in itself. We are required to be able to identify over 100 plant species to pass the class basically. You need to do the readings to help you follow along in lecture and the books are $100+. I have been trying to just get the cheap $25 ones but of course most of the assigned readings aren't in those. I really enjoy the class as a whole. Only it is a bit difficult to know what the professor is talking about when NZ has different names for the same plant. NZ calls alfalfa...lucerne, and canadian thistle is known as california thistle here. So by the time I figure out what plant he is discussing, I've totally forgot the concept that he is discussing. Our professor made us write down an agricultural question the first day of class. So everyday before we start lecture he picks out a student and he will address the question for the class. I can only hope he knows what larkspur is...... However, this Thursday we did not have a field lab so instead we had a two hour lecture on Lucerne. I never thought alfalfa had so much to talk about but apparently there is. For the entire lecture he kept referring to the summer months, winter months etc..., well they are completely opposite of the U.S. so yet again I spent half my time trying to figure out what to do in which months if I were back in the states. I have a feeling its going to be a long semester.

For my final class, consumer behavior I can actually say that I really enjoy it. It is much like my marketing class that I took last summer. What is even better, is that if you answer her questions in class you get extra credit....ahh gotta love it! And Im pleased to say that Im the only one who knew what the NIKE symbol meant. This week we only had consumer behavior for two days. I usually have it for three, but this week was a "field trip day". So basically the entire university cancels classes for one day so professors can take their students on a field trip for the entire day. I actually had one I could have gone to in my plants class but it wasn't mandatory, so I caught up on my readings.

Looking back on the week it was definitely a busy one at that. Im really enjoying the courses I'm taking and I have already planned out my classes for the fall semester at CSU. I only have three months left in NZ and the time has really been flying by. I cant believe that I have already been here 48 days!  I really love NZ, the people are very nice and the community is strong. Not a day goes by that there is not a comment from someone about the February 22nd earthquake. Everyday is a constant reminder of what happened that fateful day. I have talked to several other students who lost their homes in the quake. It is sad too see the expressions on their faces change depending upon the situation. Kiwis are such strong, willing, capable, amazing people. I truly admire their head strong attitude and the beliefs they have.
I have never seen or been around a community that is so determined to not let anything bring them down. I could definitely come back to Christchurch one day. Christchurch has really become a second home to me.

             Having a pasture of sheep behind the residential halls... feeds the soul.
                        I think this is my first feeling of being homesick.

No comments:

Post a Comment