Thursday, April 28, 2011

April 24th- 30th Days 76th-82nd

AKAROA

This weekend I had the opportunity to travel to Akaroa with a couple of Kiwi friends and Liza. We left Sunday morning and drove an hour to Akaroa. When we got there we went to our friends "bach" which is basically like a summer vacation home. We walked down to the town and looked around the various shops and galleries, Liza and I were quick to locate the fudge shop. It was a beautiful day, the sun was shinning for the first time in days and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. After our walk we headed back to the house and relaxed until Richard's parents showed up. They arrived around 3:00 and they greeted us with open arms. Since it was Easter weekend, his mom gave us each a chocolate Easter egg. Liza and I look at each other and immediately miss home. We spent the next couple hours sharing our stories and having a cup of tea.

It was about 5:00 when we decided to take the boat for a spin out on the Akaroa Harbor. We wanted to see if we could spot any dolphins, but we didn't see any. The water water clear and smooth, it was the perfect day to go out. Richard took us around and showed us the various historical spots in the harbor. We even got to see these large black drums that are used for paua pearl hunting. Liza and I each got to drive the boat around the harbor. It was a great start for our getaway.
The sun started to set so we headed in to shore, we loaded up the boat and got back to the house. Richards mom had made us dinner; rice, stuffed red peppers and a chicken dish. It was absolutely amazing. I can't help but think of home and miss my moms home cooking and the company of both of my parents. After dinner we had some pudding and ice cream for dessert. We finished off by having a drink and playing a card game of 500. Liza and I just watched, so we could catch on. The game is a lot like pitch but with a different scoring system.

After our card game, we all went out for a walk. We went passed the harbor and walked to the edge of town to a remote place. We sat there and spent the next hour looking up at the stars and listening to the waves of the ocean roll in. It was great. It reminded me of home. Complete silence and isolation from the hectic moments life often brings us. The southern hemisphere has different constellations than we do in the United States. They have the Northern Cross, Sculptor, Crater, Corvus, Cetus, Phoenix, Puppis and hundreds more.

The next day was Anzac Day, which is basically like Veterans day in the United States. We started the morning off by cooking breakfast and having a cup of tea with Richards parents and family friends. Richard was walking with the fire brigade for the ceremony, so we all went to watch. The weather was nasty outside, it was cold, windy and raining. The original location for the ceremony got moved into a community building so we all settled there. The memorial began by signing "God Save the Queen" New Zealand's national anthem. We then sat down and listened to several opening remarks about from various members of the community in regards to Anzac Day and the history of Akaroa. We continued to sign several hymns and as the memorial came to a close several wreaths were laid across the stage. There was a eulogy for the fallen by President R.S.A. and then there was a tribute from the district youth to the fallen soldiers from the banks Peninsula Roll. The memorial concluded with the Australian and New Zealand Anthems and as the bagpipes played people were able to pay their respect by placing a red poppy on a sand cross.

The entire memorial was incredibly moving. The talked about stories of war and sacrifice and courage. I couldn't help but think of my home country. The thousands of soldiers who risk their lives everyday and yet sometimes I think we often don't give them enough support for their actions. Over the years I have heard stories of war and I must say I don't think that the people in our communities support our soldiers the way they should be. I remember the stories my dad told me of his family going off to war and I am proud to call them my family, my grandfather, uncles, and dad.

The ceremony carried over into the afternoon an once it wrapped up we all headed back to the bach. We indulged in sandwiches and quiche for a late lunch. After lunch Liza and I decided to make some apple crisp. So we went outside to their apple tree, got some apples and ended up down at the market to get the rest of our ingredients. We peeled the apples and put our recipe together. However, while it was in the oven cooking, Richards parents had to leave to go back to Christchurch. We said our goodbyes and thanked them for their hospitality. It wasn't long after that our crisp was done. It was a success!!! It turned out much better than what it does back in our dorm.  We spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing and watching the rain come down on the harbor, it was a great way to start the evening.

For tea that night we walked down to a fish n chips shop where we had elephant fish and fries. It was pretty delicious, but still doesn't compare to the blue cod I had in Kaikoura

warf. Richard made me a deal if I swim in the ocean, then Alan had to jump off the warf at high tide.....and yet neither of us can swim....at least we have life jackets.
We got to the warf, Richard jumped off, then Alan. I can't help but notice their expressions to the cold water. I'm not so sure I want to get in the water. We spend some time at the warf then head over to shore.  It is my moment of truth, the wind is blowing, I put my feet in the water, its sooo cold my feet turn numb instantly. I'm feeling doubt but I know if I don't do it then I would regret it. So, I went in. The water stung my body, it was like several knives jabbing at me, but after a while I couldn't feel it anymore. Richard and Alan came out with me. Alan attempted to swim as well and Richard gave me my lessons. It was quite nice to be honest, but would have been better if I could feel my body. I stay in for about 20 minutes until we call it good. We rush back to the house to get some hot showers.

Once we got warm again in was time for lunch, so we all went to Bully Hayes restaurant which is a place Richard used to work at. The food was great and was good recovery food. After we finished eating we walked along the various shops and then went back to the house. We spent the afternoon on the couch relaxing and watching movies. After our movies we made some tea (dinner) and then Alan and I headed back. I got back to Uni at 8:00 and it was a great weekend.

 On our boat ride we came across one of the more well known rock formations called the "Elephant". The picture is hard to see but there is a part of the rock that descends into the ocean that is shaped like an elephants trunk.
             These are some of the black drums that are used to collect paua pearls.
                 Richard and his parents after the Anzac Memorial Service.
                 This would be me procrastinating my entrance into the ocean.
                                  Getting my first swimming lesson.

School starts back up next week and I have two tests on the same day, I'm not really looking forward to any of it. I have made great headway on my genetics project. As I was able to get in contact with the lead researcher for the defect from the U.S. I still have a bunch left, but it is a work in progress. I had a great time over my two week break. I may not have gone out and traveled a lot like most of the international students. But at the same time I was happy to get some work done and just hang out with my kiwi friends.

The past few days I have been keeping up on the news in the United States, there have been over 300 tornadoes and now there are 329 reported casualties. It is soo heart breaking to see all of the footage of the destruction. Mother nature sure has its wonders. My thoughts and prayers go out to those families and communities affected by the tragedy. I can't help but think about the importance of community service and the act of lending a helping hand. Often times I believe we don't help others enough.

Early Saturday morning we had another aftershock of 5.2 magnitude. It woke me up and really rattled the bed. It was the biggest I have felt since the February 22nd earthquake. I knew I would be feeling aftershocks for some time. But it's almost nerve racking that such big aftershocks are happening even two months after the original quake. They don't bother me like they used to, I have almost come accustomed to their presence.

1 comment: