Saturday, February 19, 2011

February 18th- Day 11

Today I woke up with no fears or anxiety. I was well rested from a good nights sleep and was ready to experience the day. We didn't have anything planned for today. So we just walked around to the various little shops throughout Queenstown. New Zealand has some of the most beautiful jewelry I have seen. A lot of it is made with the native Paua shell.
Along our walk we ran into an art display out on the grass near the pier. He was a gentleman who used to live in the United States and had once played soccer. He showed us his numerous paintings of the Milford Sound area. Which is not too far from Queenstown. When I get a chance that is one of my destinations in the future. After we talked a while he had pointed us in the direction of the best fish n chips. And I must say, New Zealand has some of the best fish n chips I could ever dream of.

 This is just one of the various sculptures around the area. This is called the Moa.
 Just a picture explaining the history of the Moa.
 On our walk down on the warf I ran into my first ever anchor! It was absolutely huge!
 One of the many benches on the warf that overlook the lake.
Here is a picture from the bench where you can look out onto the lake and watch numerous sail boats/ cruises come into dock and part for their journey.
Birds are not hard to come by when your close to the warf in Queenstown. 
After our "tea" (New Zealand calls dinner...tea) we continued our stroll through the streets where we ran across The Remarkable Sweet Shop. This candy store handmade all of its fudge. They would give you samples of each if you asked. They have flavors ranging from Irish Cream, Hokey Pokey, Passion Fruit, to Cream Brule. And of course I walked out with four flavors...but some is for me to send home of course.
We finally got back to our hostel where we stayed up most of the night eating hokey pokey ice cream and talking with our roommates. All along our stay we met girls from Ireland, Malaysia, Korea and even Germany. They are amazing people and it was fun for all of us to share our stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment