Saturday, February 19, 2011

February 19th & 20th- Day 12 & Day 13

February 19th:
Today we were headed back to Lincoln. By the time our adventures of bungy jumping and benge eating came to a hault we were ready to get back to our dorm rooms. This morning we set our alarms for 6:00am. We wanted to get up early and walk down to the bakery to get day old bread for $3. Afterwards we came back to the hostel and showered and packed our things up. We said goodbye to our roommates and hit hte streets walking to the bus stop. It was raining today and it felt really good and refreshing after two weeks of non stop traveling. Our bus showed up at 9:00am and we loaded our things and took our seats, however unlike our ride down this bus was packed full of people.
Every seat was taken and I ended up sitting next to a nice older couple from England who were biking across New Zealand. Liza and I even met a group of students on the bus who were from Michigan that had been in Australia going to school. The bus trip was long and stuffy. We finally took a lunch break at Lake Tekapo and had the pleasure of endulging in a Crunchie Bar.


Cadbury Crunchie is a milk chocolate bar with a "honeycombed" sugar center. The honey comb center is also known as Hokey Pokey. It is one of the most liked and famous candies in New Zealand. 
This is a photo of Lake Tekapo, which is near Mt. Cook.
Aoraki / Mount Cook is the highest mountain in New Zealand, reaching a height of 3,754 metres (12,316 ft). It lies in the Southern Alps, the mountain range which runs the length of the South Island. 
After our long journey to Christchurch we got on another bus to take us to Lincoln. Where we arrived about 7:00pm. The rest of the night I relaxed and enjoyed the comforts of my new "home". 




February 20th- Day 13
Today I decided to sleep in until 8 and then headed my way towards the student union to use the free internet. I worked on my blog for an hour or so and then figured out I didn't have my bungy photos. So I headed back to my dorm and uploaded them on my computer.
Later on i ran into Liza and she was on her way out to go on a grand adventure with Felix ( our neighbor upstairs from Germany). However, during this conversation I just so happened to leave my keys inside my room. Ahh yes I was locked out of my building....fabulous. So I turned around and went to the accommodation office where Aileen gave me a key to get in. Once I got in I gathered my things to go to New World super market and dropped off the key to Aileen. When I was in the store I found the one and only...Dr. Pepper! Yes!!! I was soo excited to find my favorite drink in my grocery store. I did have to buy it by the can for $2.00 so I got a couple and will ration myself. The $2.00 price was more of a good shock to me, because earlier in Queenstown it was selling for $4.00/ can. 
After I got my shopping done I walked back to my dorm and had decided to fix some lunch...and of course I already had bread....but of course it was molded! But I was able to find two good slices to make me a delicious pastrami sandwich. I spent the afternoon organizing, cleaning and napping. 
That evening Liza, Felix, Hayden and I all went to dinner together. Tonight was a "barbie" for all of the student and parents that had arrived in the past week. We had bratwurts, potatoes, salad and bread. But to top it all off we had ice cream. New Zealand has some of the best ice cream I have ever encountered. How good you ask?....so good it puts dryers, bluebunny, and cold-stone in the dust. 
The rest of the night Im planning on watching a movie and emailing my family. The past few weeks have been hard with Dad, Mom, Karla and of course my sheep and corgis! Dad is supposed to vaccinate tomorrow so we'll see how that goes for him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment